Wednesday 2 March 2011

Learning as we go

The thing that really appeals to me about HEing is that you don't necessarily notice when you are learning.  Whenever DD1 asks questions, as she does ALL the time, I do my best to answer them.  And the result?  Yesterday, she counted to 39 in French!!! She can nearly count to 10 in German, and she's only 3.  This morning she was talking (correctly) about the past, present and future.  She was talking the magnetic words off the fridge, bringing them to me saying "this says 'February' " and even when she reads one wrong (she read 'three' instead of 'there') or mispronounces a word (she pronounce 'out' as ' 'oh-oo-t') I can see that she is reading the words, as I can see how the 'mistakes' have arisen.  She knows the days of the week, months of the year, and the birthdays (and house numbers!) of everybody in our family.  Given that both my and DH's parents are divorced and we have 3 sets of great-grandparents still alive, that's a lot of information.  And now, she is playing the recorder, or at least, trying to. 

And DD2 is coming on leaps and bounds too.  We're weaning, but I sometimes forget she needs food too, especially if I'm in a rush.  So, even though I'm BLW, I bought some baby-porridge as it's much quicker to do - and I still forgot.  Today at lunchtime DD1 asked for sausage, peas and mash, so that's exactly what we ate.  DD2 ate mash potato (mixed sweet and normal) off a spoon and loved it.  I'm sure I've said before, but I'm not averse to giving her something off a spoon, as long as I'm attentive to her cues about whether she wants more food or not.  I think that the most important thing is being child-led.

No comments:

Post a Comment