Saturday 2 July 2011

Teeth extracted!

 I am finally without my last baby tooth. :-(

My teeth are strong, and my baby tooth was no exception, so rather than falling out when the adult tooth came along, it pushed the adult tooth into the middle of the palette of my mouth.  When I was 18 I was given the option of having the baby tooth removed and the adult tooth pulled into position, but given that I was an overweight brown-haired girl with glasses, I really didn't want to add wearing braces for 2 years into the mix when heading off to uni!  So, I didn't have the work done, and was told that the tooth could fall out next week, or last till I'm 50.

Fast forward to now, and I'm 29 yrs old, and my baby tooth was finally wobbly.  As I'm on maternity, I've got a maternity exemption certificate, so I don't pay for dental work, so my dentist recommended I get the teeth out now.  Coincidentally, my adult tooth has started erupting through my palette, so that one was coming out too, AND when they did an X-ray, they found one of my wisdom teeth (which hasn't come through yet) had an infection in the root (not that it bothered me), so that one is coming out at the same time for good measure.

So yesterday, off I went to hospital for an op under GA.  I was advised to have a light breakfast before 8am, and then only drink water until 12 (not a problem for me, as I only drink water anyway), but I'm gladd i had the breakfast.  I had to be at hospital for 12, but didn't get operated on until 4.30!  I'm so glad I had 2 books with me.  I finished 'How to talk...' and re-started 'Lady Chatterley's lover' for the third time.  I've finally got to the sex scenes hahaha.

Now, I've had 3 teeth out, and I have a plate in my mouth with the 1 incisor on it, so I don't have a gap.  My mouth is sore, most of the pain is from the wisdom tooth removal, and I'm nervous of eating.  Last night, when I got home, I was starving, so I sent DH to the shops, and I ate a whole tin of custard, loads of rusks with milk, and frijj (sp?) milkshake.  I also have to rinse my mouth with salt water after every time I eat, which isn't too dignified, and I've no idea whether that is just for today, or until the stitches dissolve (2 weeks).

And, I'm left not being able to talk properly, and given I'm doing a reading at my sister's wedding in 3 weeks time, I have to figure out what to do.  At least I'm now an adult with only adult teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment