Friday 21 January 2011

Is anyone a laid back parent?

Being a parent, we all do (or try to do) the best for our children.  Whatever parenting philosophy (or none) we adhere to, whether we work or not, whatever we choose, decide upon or fall into, we do because we love them.  I would love to say that "yes, I am a laid back parent" but we all know that no such thing exists.  What is true, though, is that I am much more laid back now I'm taking a more child-led, child-centric approach to parenting, rather than doing things because I felt I ought to do them.  It is also true to say that I am more laid back than some of my mummy friends, and in turn, I have more confidence in what I am doing, because I'm not stressed all the time.

I was tempted to call this blog A Lazy Parent's blog, however, thanks in part to the tabloid press, that would give the immediate impression that I don't give a damn about my children.  I hope that it will become evident that that is not the case.  I do, though, thing there is something good to be said for taking the easy road, or making life that little bit easier for yourself.  Does it really matter that your house is slightly untidy, or your children are wearing the same clothes as yesterday?  Why stress about your baby not sleeping in their cot, when you can have uninterupted sleep earlier if they share your bed?  Why make up purees when you can give your child the same food as you make for the rest of the family?  Does it really matter if your child is 2 years and a day, or 2 years and a month, or 2 years and six months, or 3 years, etc. and still not potty trained?  Why do you strictly adhere to routines when all it achieves is stressing out your children, you family, and you?  Just relax and try not to worry too much.  These things all work themselves out in the end.
Now, if only I could follow my own advice...

No comments:

Post a Comment