Monday 30 May 2011

Coming on leaps and bounds

DD1 really seems to like maths, and counting, adding and subtraction.
She is now starting to enjoy multiplication, as I have been linking it to addition.  Her mental maths is getting very quick, and if she asks (in order to test) me "what is 4+4?" and I reply "the same as 6+2" she is happy with that answer, as she gets more confident with her number bonds.  I have also left the Peak Number Book Zero in her room, so she asks herself questions from there, and can do some of the sequences and things too.
Counting, she can easily go up into the hundreds, and is recognising thousands too.  She likes to do sums on the calculator and ask me what the solutions are, so I have to reply "Five million, three hundred and twenty two thousand, four hundred and seventy nine", or whatever.  Sometimes I also pretend I can't do the simpler sums and she calls me silly mummy.

DD1 also likes to talk in French, German and Spanish.  Only simple words, but she is getting good.  Atm she mixes the languages together, but that will come in time.   And reading, there is a much wider range of words that DD1 knows how to read and spell now.  Atm she isn't too interested in writing, so I'm not pushing it (she is only 3 after all).  The few letters she can write, she will do so over and over.  And she is starting to understand the importance of practice, which is good, so I've every confidence in her.

We also bought her some Money Cards (she chose them) and not only does she recognise all the coins, now, it is helping with larger addition, for example 20p +50p = 70p.  DD1 will happily spend a good 30min-1hour just playing different games with these cards.

And she has recently learnt how to catch.  DD1 has always been more academically minded, than physical, so I'm really pleased that she can now catch [easily thrown] large and small balls.  I can't wait until she can throw a decent distance/height though.  Next door are always throwing/kicking balls into our garden, and DD1 likes to give them back.  Unfortunately, she can't throw them over our 6ft fence, so we have to lift her up, so she can pop them over the top.  It will be much easier when she can do it herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment