Saturday 7 May 2011

My Laid Back Guide to Weaning

My disclaimer: I am just me.  I do not claim to be an expert, I am not a nursery worker or childminder.  I do not have a million children for whom I have perfected this 'technique'.  And, I am certainly not a perfect parent, though I can dream...

This is going to be fairly short, because I did Baby Led Weaning.  As it sounds, it is weaning that is led by the baby.  Some BLW purists will argues that you should never, ever, spoon feed your LO.  I, however, disagree and think that it is possible to use a spoon when BLW - you just need to be more aware of your LO's reactions, so that you are not just shoving food into their mouth, so that they are still 'leading'.  I spoon feed all food that is meant to be eaten with a spoon (so soup, cereal, yoghurt, etc).  So, put down that blender, or that fork, ready to mash and follow me!

  1. Wait until your child is ready.  That is usually from 6 months upwards.  The main thing is that your baby can sit upright, unaided, and looks ready for food.  (I won't give a list of the signs for readiness, but let's just say that just because a baby enjoys playing with your car keys, doesn't mean it is ready to drive!)
  2. Remind yourself what foods to avoid. Obviously, if there is a family history of allergies, take extra care, but the main thing to remember is once you've reached 6months old your LO can have everything except honey, choking hazards (eg peanuts), and can have cow's milk in food/cereals (but should use breastmilk or formula to drink).
  3. Don't prepare anything special.  Seriously, life is too short!  Just give some food off of your plate, or whatever you are eating.  Encourage chewing, but if they spit the food back out, don't worry about it.
  4. Allow mess.  Your LO hasn't seen these foods before, let alone tasted them, so let them have a little play.  They may put the food straight in their mouths, or they may squish it in their fingers first.  And if they throw things around, they're just learning about gravity. LoL.  Yes, they will use their hands mainly, and may flick food with a spoon before they co-ordinate to their own mouths, but hey. 
  5. Don't worry.  If you are the type of person to worry excessively, or not know the difference between gagging (natural) and choking (dangerous), try and find a family first aid course.  They are really useful in general, but especially so if you are concerned about giving lumps/real food (rather than the yucky puree/mush/vomitty stuff). 
I think that's about it, to be honest.  It is important to remember that for a baby's first year, most of their nutrition comes milk, so don't worry yourself if you think they are not eating enough, especially if you are comparing your LO to babies that have been forcefed from 4month.  Soon enough, you'll probably find that your LO is eating real food, all by themselves, and probably a wider variety of tastes too.

Good luck and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment