Sunday 15 May 2011

Thinning out the onions

My strawberry plant was flat again today.  Again, my thoughts turned to that damned pigeon/cat.  Nevertheless, I straightened the plant so it stood upright again, and watered it. Aha - the base of the hanging basket was bone dry.  So maybe the flattened strawberry was due to me, and not some creature.  I've watered the basket this morning and I will go back out and water it again later. I hope that tomorrow I will remember to water it again, and it will last now until Friday as that is the next chance I will be able to give it some water.  Either that, or I hope the weather is wet for our holiday.

The tomatoes on the sunny side are still doing well.  They are starting to bush a bit now (rather than going vine-like as I was expecting), but still growing.  On the shady side, the tomato plants are still barely there at all.  I keep watering them, but I don't know when I should be giving up the ghost.

My next jobs were to tidy the garden (remove the last of the dead leaves from nextdoor's palm that has finally died) and thin the onions. The first of these was very quick to do; the second, less so.  Before I could start thinning the onions, I needed to remove the turf from the area of garden I was going to move them to.  No chance of me even attempting to double dig this patch, but I did the best I could in the time available.  I removed the turf, and used a fork to break up the ground.  I guesstimated the size of patch I needed, in order to be most time efficient. 

Then, I very carefully dug up some of the onions.  My gosh, they smell!  No wonder the onions hadn't been eaten by the slugs! LoL.  Onion plants are meant to be separated by around 3-4 inches, well, I've gone for approximately 1 inch separation for now, knowing that I'll need to thin them out again soon.  We have tons of onions!  I'm guessing that using up an entire packet of seeds was totally unnecessary, but at least I know for next time.  I would have separated out the plants to the correct distance, but I knew I did not have the space for more rows, and I should have removed even more turf.  As it is now, I still have 3 extra rows of onions. 

I also had a look at the carrots.  The leaves have started to grow back, after being eaten by slugs, so I'm hoping they are on the mend.  I dug up one carrot, but I think I killed it, so I'll wait a bit longer before I attempt to thin out these plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment