Thursday 24 February 2011

Weaning and Potty Training

Both are coming along really well! 

DD1 hasn't had an accident for ages now (and her previous ones were only because she was distracted and too busy playing).  She will tell me, when out, when she needs the toilet, and often takes herself to the toilet when at home.  She has also started waking at night to go to the toilet (she is in a nappy at night, though), but won't yet take herself.  Instead she screams/shouts until I wake up and take her.  I have put the potty in her bedroom (it has a lid, so I'm not worried about mess) but she still refuses to go herself.  It's hard, because obviously I don't want to be encouraging her to wet in her nappy at night, and yet I'm sooooo tired, I can't wait until she can either hold herself the whole night, or take herself to the toilet/potty.

Last weekend DD2 cut her first 2 teeth, just in time for her 6month birthday!  She now has eaten broccoli, (did I mention she had soup before?), crust of a pizza, porridge (home made, not baby stuff), toast and rice cake.  The soup and porridge I fed her on a spoon.  Whilst I am BLW, I'm not averse to using a spoon.   When she gets a bit bigger, she will take control, but her hand-eye coordination isn't that great yet, but it will come in time.  I'm still just giving new tastes and textures, rather than any actual meals.  I don't know whether it's best to increase the number of 'meals' or the amount of food each time.  The latter would be easier, but I think the former is what I ought to do.  As I am being child-led, she will let me know if she wants more food.  As it is, she has only a couple of times finished what I have put before her.  She will have to learn, though, because every time I feed her, DD1 decides she wants to eat from DD2's hand!  DD1 is a good eater, and always hungry.  I think she might be going through a growth spurt, because she is fairly small but eating every couple of hours atm.  Back to DD2, though, she will happily drink cooled boild water from a freeflow beaker.  I'm only offering water with food (specifically with food that I find dries my mouth out: porridge, banana and rice cakes), but she will grab the hands and drink.  As I'm BFing, I probably shouldn't be giving any water at all, but I am please at how she is taking the beaker.  Maybe next time she has EBM or FM, we should try giving it to her from a beaker, rather than a bottle, to see if she takes it easier? Hmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment