Wednesday 2 February 2011

Butlins and Tesco Clubcard Deals

Last year, we went on a really enjoyable holiday to Butlins in Minehead.  We went in May, so during term time.  The weather was warm and it was not too crowded.  We stayed in a Silver Appartment and had Premium dinner and breakfast.

So, we've saved up out Tesco Vouchers all year, so we could use them again at Butlins this year.  In December, Tesco announced they were changing the system, so rather than having 4x value, it would only be 3x value.  So we exchanged all the vouchers we could, in the hope we could have an even more luxurious holiday this year, and exchanged them in time to still get 4x value: £590!  When the Butlins vouchers arrived, included were the terms and conditions stating that the holiday had to be booked within 6 months (although not taken in that time) and the vouchers could be used to pay part or all of the holiday. When using vouchers, you cannot make use of any discounts/deals so we needed the 2011 Brochure to see the full prices.  Unfortunately, the brochure only became available this past January.

DH and I decided what holiday we wanted: Gold appartment with standard dining package.  I phoned up to use my vouchers and was told that the T&Cs had changed and they are only valid for use on accommodation, and the gold appartments, for the week we wanted to go was only £400-odd, so we'd wasted loads of money.  (Once Tesco vouchers had been exchanged for a specific deal [Butlins] they are non-transferable.)  I didn't book anything then, and looked to see how to make the most of the money. In short, I'd exchanged vouchers in December, and sometime between Dec and Jan the T&Cs changed.  It would've been different if they had said advance notice of the change, so we knew what we were letting ourselves in for when we exchanged the money.  I double checked the T&Cs on the Tesco website, and they have indeed changed.

DH was very annoyed by this, and determined not to give Butlins any more money than we had already spent.  After spending hours (literally) looking at all the varioous options, we decided to go for a Blueskies appartment in Minehead.  By now, it was nearly 9pm (phone lines close at 9pm) and after being on hold for a while, i finally got through.  I explained I wanted to pay using Tesco vouchers, and the call-lady asked if I knew the new T&Cs.  I said I did, unfortunately, and she remarked that was one of the milder reactions she'd had today!  Obviously this was an ill-thought out policy which has not been popular with customers!  Anyway, I said that i wanted a blueskies appartment, and she told me that she was unable to book those appartments - I would have to phone Minehead Resort directly - and not just that, I cannot use vouchers to pay for them!  Nowhere in all the documentation, or online, does it say that vouchers cannot be used.  I explained the situation, and she suggested to go for one of the Bognor hotels (we already had looked at this option, but there is no kitchenette in these hotels) but because we had enough vouchers to pay for the Blueskies outright, if we phoned up directly, they may make an exception for us.  I put the phone down, phone Minehead, but their offices close at 7pm. 

We then had to look at what options were available to us if we couldn't get Blueskies.  We decided we'd try for a Blueskies, but if not, we'd go Silver in July.  It would be worse than we wanted (not bad, as we stayed there last year), without food (don't want to give them more money), and much more crowded, which we didn't want, and don't think DD1 would like.  It was the only way to make the most of the vouchers we had already exchanged, without feeling like we wasted nearly £200!

Next morning (yesterday), I phone Butlins Minehead.  I asked about booking Blueskies and they said of course I can use vouchers.  However, despite a vacancy for a 1-bed appartment showing on my computer screen, the man I was talking to said there were only 2-bed vacancies at £770.  As DH didn't want to give Butlins any more money, we wanted a 1-bed which costs £565.  We looked at different weeks, and finally found a 1-bed appartment for a week nearer our original choice anyway.  I was in the middle of booking it, when I was told I would have to pay the deposit by card (£95) and could only pay the remainder with the vouchers.  I stated that the T&Cs say I could pay all the holiday with vouchers, so the call-man had to speak to his manager.  Fortunately, I was right.  Hurray!  As we opted for a cot, that counts as an extra, so I had to pay £10 by card, but I didn't mind if it reserved our booking, without having to pay the full deposit.  Once I received the confirmation of the booking by email, I went to the post office and posted the vouchers by special delivery (another £5).  Booked.

Now everything has been booked I do feel calmer.  It's strange, I love camping, and yet think staying in a 1-bed appartment will feel cramped. LoL.  At least we'll have a sea-view.  There are plenty of activities to keep DD1 and 2 entertained, and although DD1 will have a double bed to herself (we'll be on the sofa bed, so we can stay up later) I'm sure we'll manage.  And today I received confirmation that they have received the vouchers too. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment